Over 29,000 households in Neath could save hundreds of pounds on energy
I recently attended an event in parliament to learn more about initiatives that offer help to those struggling with their energy bills.
I was surprised to hear 85% of households in Neath have not taken advantage of the significant savings available by switching energy supplier.
With many people struggling to pay their bills this winter I encourage everyone to shop around and see if there is a better deal for them. I know that switching can seem like a daunting task but the Energy Switch Guarantee promises to make it simple, quick and safe.
If you struggle to pay your bills get in touch with your supplier. There are many initiatives and schemes that can help you.
Tina Tietjen, independent chair of the Energy Switch Guarantee said:
“I encourage people to shop around this winter for the best deal for them. Customers can save hundreds of pounds and with the Energy Switch Guarantee they are assured a simple, speedy and safe switch.
“The Guarantee is a major commitment by suppliers – from the largest to some of the newest suppliers in the market – to make switching simple and quick. It is designed to reassure consumers who may have reservations about switching.”
- Further information about the Guarantee can be found by visiting www.energyswitchguarantee.com
- To find out more about initiatives and schemes to help with your energy bills on Energy UK’s website.
- To see the latest monthly switching stats, please visit Energy UK’s website.
- You can find out more about how to switch energy providers on Energy UK’s website.
Energy Switch Guarantee Factsheet
What is it?
The Guarantee is a set of 10 commitments developed by energy suppliers who are signatories, to promote:
- customer confidence in the switching process
- customer understanding of the switching process
- customer willingness to switch.
Why should consumers trust it?
- The Guarantee has been developed by suppliers working with Government and consumer bodies
- Signatories of the Guarantee have their performance regularly scrutinised to ensure compliance
- Applications are vetted by an Independent Chair of the Governance Board which Government and Citizens Advice are invited to attend.
Why is it required?
Despite there being many suppliers offering a host of products, services and prices there are many customers who have never switched supplier. The Guarantee aims to provide reassurance to customers to enable them to engage confidently in the switching process.
Why would a supplier sign up?
Customers, particularly those who have never switched before due to concerns or uncertainty around the switching process, will look to switch to suppliers that are signed up to the Guarantee. The Guarantee Administrator works with energy switching sites to increase consumers’awareness of the Guarantee.
How do I find out more?
The Energy Switch Guarantee commitments
- All energy providers use the same wires and pipes, therefore your energy supply will not be interrupted.
- The switching service is free.
- 3. The switch will take no more than 21 days from the date your new provider receives your completed application.
- Your new energy provider will not need to visit your home to complete the switch unless you agree otherwise.
- Your new energy provider will arrange the switch, including contacting your current provider to let them know you are leaving.
- Your new energy provider will send you details of your new energy supply agreement for you to check and you will have 14 days to change your mind. If you cancel in this time, you will stay with your current provider.
- Your new and current providers will work together to make sure you are not charged twice for the same energy.
Issues or delays
- If there are any problems making the switch, your new provider will contact you as soon as possible and will be responsible for putting the matter right.
Billing – your current provider’s responsibility
- Following the switch your current provider will send you a final bill no later than six weeks after the switch.
- If your current provider owes you any money, they will refund this to you no later than 14 days after sending you the final bill.