Date: Friday, November 18th 2022
Edition number: 40
Welcome to the latest edition of our newsletter.
We start with an important message from Executive Director of Public Health at Swansea Bay University Health Board, Keith Reid.
We’re pleased to announce we’ve reached the one-million-dose milestone in our Covid vaccination programme.
That’s all the first, second, third (for some people) and booster doses delivered across Swansea and Neath Port Talbot so far.
It’s a remarkable achievement and gives us an opportunity to thank everyone who has played a part.
We appreciate you, the public, putting your faith in us through one of the most challenging periods in the NHS’ history.
No matter how well planned out, no vaccination programme could achieve anything without the support of those it has been designed to help. So thank you.
It was a little under two years ago that the first Pfizer vaccines were delivered to the health board.
In the weeks before that day and since, a remarkable number of people and organisations have worked together to roll out these doses on a scale never seen before.
They include those who plan the programme, building contractors, Bay Studios, Margam Orangery, Canolfan Gorseinon Centre, health board vaccinators, the military, pharmacists, health care support workers, administrators, volunteers, bus operators, booking staff, security staff, GP practices, community pharmacies, colleagues and elected representatives on Swansea and Neath Port Talbot councils, community groups, charities and Aberafan Shopping Centre.
And it’s not over. We are learning to live with the coronavirus and a huge part of that is maintaining levels of immunity.
The current autumn booster roll out will help to do that as we head into a difficult winter where flu is also likely to make a comeback.
So please, if you’re eligible for the Covid booster and flu vaccines, take up the offer.
As to what’s next, no one can really say for sure right now.
But whatever lies ahead, we will continue to work hard for you, listening, learning, adapting and improving as we move forward.
What stage is the vaccination programme at?
We’re on course to have offered everyone who is eligible in our health board area a Covid vaccination by the end of November and a flu vaccination by the end of December. This is in line with the ambition set out in the Welsh Government’s winter respiratory vaccination strategy.
We know, however, that some people are unable to reach our vaccination centres for their Covid booster, so we organise outreach sessions with the Immbulance mobile vaccination clinic and at pop-up clinics across our area. These are also handy for those who may not have been able to make an earlier appointment. They are drop-in sessions, so no appointment is needed.
Next week’s timetable is below.
Immbulance and pop-up clinic timetable – week beginning Monday, November 21st
· Monday, November 21st – The Immbulance will be at Bonymaen Community Centre, Bonymaen Road, Bonymaen, Swansea, SA1 7AW, 10am to 5pm. Ages 12+ at risk and all 50 and over. Covid autumn booster vaccination only.
· Tuesday, November 22nd and returning on Tuesday, December 6th – The Immbulance will be at Morfa Shopping Park, Brunel Way, Swansea, SA1 7BP, 10am to 5pm. Ages 12+ at risk and all 50 and over. Covid autumn booster vaccination only.
· Wednesday, November 23rd – There will be a drop-in session for the Ukrainian refugee community at The Grand Hotel, Station Road, Port Talbot, SA13 1DE, 10am to 5pm. Primary Covid vaccinations and booster.
· Thursday, November 24th – There will be a drop-in session at Trallwn Community Centre, Bethel Road, Trallwn, Swansea, SA7 9QP, 10am to 5pm. Ages 12+ at risk and all 50 and over. Covid autumn booster vaccination only.
· Go to this page on our website for the full Immbulance and pop-up clinic timetable.
Am I eligible?
Go to this page on our website and use the eligibility checker if you’re not sure if you’re eligible for the Covid autumn booster or flu vaccination.
The page also has information on how to get the vaccinations and videos explaining why vaccination is important.
Go to this page on our website for the answers to frequently asked questions about the Covid autumn booster and flu vaccination.
We’re leaving no one behind. So if you’re missing a first or second Covid vaccine, please contact our booking team on 01792 200492 or 01639 862323, between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday.
Thanks for reading.