Date: Thursday, September 1st, 2022
Edition number: 38
The roll out of the Covid autumn booster vaccine begins today (Thursday, September 1st) in Wales.
Those who are eligible will be invited to have it this autumn.
We’ll let you know when it’s your turn and where you need to go. There is no need to contact the health board or your GP to ask for an appointment.
Please be patient.
If you’re eligible, you’ll receive an invite to have the booster at one location.
This could be one of our local vaccination centres (Canolfan Gorseinon or Aberafan Shopping Centre), a community pharmacy or your GP surgery.
Some people will already have received their appointments, others will follow.
If you receive a letter and wish to change or cancel your appointment, please follow the instructions on the letter.
Residents in care homes and the housebound will be visited by vaccinators.
If you’re missing a booster you’ll move on to receive your autumn booster only, as this will be sufficient to increase your protection.
The Covid autumn booster will support the immunity of those who are at greatest risk from the disease, improving their protection against severe illness and helping to protect the NHS during what is likely to be another challenging winter.
Those who are eligible for the booster will also be offered a separate flu vaccination, along with some others who will receive the flu vaccination only.
Those eligible are:
• Pregnant women
• People aged 50 and over
• People with a long-term health condition (from six months for flu and aged five for Covid)
• People who live in a care home
• People with a learning disability
• People with a severe mental illness
• People who live with someone who has a weakened immune system (from six months for flu and aged five for Covid)
• Carers aged 16 and over
• Frontline health and social care workers
• All staff working in care homes for older adults
1. Children aged two and three will be offered the nasal spray flu vaccination by their GP surgery.
2. School pupils from reception to year 11 will be offered the nasal spray flu vaccination in school.
We’re leaving no one behind. So if you’re missing a first or second Covid vaccine, please contact our booking team on 01792 200492 or 01639 862323, between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday.